Wednesday, September 13, 2006

And, we're at it again!

I have not updated my blog in a long time, obviously. Here I am at last, to tell you what's been going on.

First off, my children's book is still unagented and unpublished. To date, I have over fifty rejections from both agents and publishers. I had to make a decision to either keep researching agents and submitting, or wait the remaining ones out and start my next book. The thing was, the constant querying was keeping me from writing, and I had a couple book ideas kicking around in my head I wanted to explore.

That, and I was still unemployed and still searching for a job.

So at the end of May, I started a novel. And now, in September, I am nearly finished at over 350 pages. It is a horror novel, unlike most you have ever seen or read.

Between now and then I've continued to collect rejection letters. Well, actually, it's dwindled to a dead stop, and I suppose it's possible I might get some more from the agencies that have not yet responded, but I'm not holding my breath on those. I'm still waiting on a rejection from one of the publishers I queried in May, whose turnaround time was five months.

After I finish the first draft of my novel, though, I'll start querying in earnest once again.

Meanwhile, I finally found a full time job and began in early August. It's a very good job and draws on my electrical wiring skills I've learned in past jobs. It's in an assembly plant for big machines, and it pays very well. The hours are 5:30 a.m. to 3, weekends included. This severely limits my time to write, but I'm still generating words every day.

I have a lot of different topics to discuss on my blog, so please visit back if you happen to stumble across my ramblings. I have a lot of pop culture things to talk about, not wishing to intrude on my friend booksteve. Also, stay tuned for a primer on Cincinnati radio. If you're in local media, your name might be mentioned.

Next post is about bluegrass, so please read on.

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, November 27, 2007 1:56:00 AM, Blogger Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

Hi Allen- I can so relate to this. Being more of a "finish one job before moving on to the next" kind of person, I find the querying aspect beyond difficult. It's hard to concentrate on a new project when another is still looking for an agent. But I guess that's the nature of the beast. I'm trying to balance it all, but it's not easy, and really goes against my nature. But I do think that anything that keeps you from writing for too long, is a bad deal. Keep writing! ~Karen (Lavinia from AW)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home